- 1 package of pie crust (you will find it frozen and it needs to be thawed before use)
- 2 cups of crushed walnuts (pistachios are traditionally and most commonly used)
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 250g fresh butter
- 20 whole cloves
- For the syrup:
- 3 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of water
- ½ cup honey and juice of half a lemon
- Once you have thawed your sheets of pie crust, melt your butter and with a silicone brush, butter 5 sheets and place them on top of each other in a baking tray.
- Mix your walnuts, cinnamon and sesame seeds in a small bowl. Then, you add one layer of filling and two buttered sheets on top.(20×30 is a good size tray and make sure its at least 5cm deep) Repeat this process until your filling has finished ending always with 2 pie sheets on top.
- Cut the baklava into triangular pieces or square as you like and pour any left over butter evenly over the top. Add one clove in the middle of each piece.
- Bake on 150 degrees until golden brown. While its baking, make your syrup first by adding the water and the sugar and 5 minutes after it has started boiling, add the honey and lemon!
- Remove the baklava once its ready and pour the boiling syrup on top of the hot baklava. ** It is very important for them both to be hot. Let cool and serve with ice-cream!