Chicken soup with an egg-lemon sauce (Avgolemono)
- 1 whole chicken cut in 6 pieces
- 1 egg
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup arborio/risotto rice
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- Add 2-3L of water with at least 3 tablespoons of salt in a pot and bring to the boil. Add your chicken pieces and lower the heat down to medium.
- Stay over the pot and remove the froth formed from the boil carefully with a spoon and dispose of it.
- Leave the chicken to boil for 30 minutes. Strain your broth into a clean pot along with your chicken pieces add your rice. Boil for an extra 10 minutes.
- Once it is ready, remove off the heat. Shred your chicken into small pieces and place as much as you like back into the soup. The rest can be set aside for another use if you like! ***(see below)
- In a separate bowl beat the egg and lemon juice with a whisk thoroughly until frothy. Then, take your ladle and pour half the broth slowly into the egg mixture while whisking quickly so that the egg doesn’t curdle. Transfer it back into the rest of the soup and mix well. Taste for salt and serve hot with freshly ground pepper and some bite size rusks!