- 1 kilo of small calamari/squid
- 200ml home made tomato sauce
- 1 large onion diced finely
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 shot glasses of ouzo, red wine or grappa! (whichever you prefer!)
- Boiled Rice to serve with
- Clean your calamari well! This is something my fishmonger does for me so I cannot advise you on how to do it, sorry!! So, once you have clean calamari in your hands, cut it into rings, rinse it off under cold running water, strain and pat dry with some paper towels and set it aside!
- Fry the onion in the olive oil in a deep pot. Add the calamari, stir for a minute then add the alcohol of your choice! Lower the heat down to a low-medium, add the tomato sauce, season and close the lid. Let it cook until the calamari has melted! This should take about an hour!
- Boil some rice and either mix it into the sauce or serve it on top of plain boiled rice! Enjoy!