Youvarlakia! Traditional Greek meatball soup. The success to this recipe is the Egg & Lemon sauce which adds a creamy texture and delicious taste! Here is the way I do it…
- 500g minced beef
- ¼ of a cup long-grain rice (arborio)
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 grated medium sized onion
- 1 egg
- 1 big lemon
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- ½ carrot, grated
- 2 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients (except from egg and lemon) until combined.
- Prepare your meatballs and set aside on a plate. Bring approximately 2L of water to boil. Slightly flour the palms of your hands and roll up the meatballs a second time before adding them into your boiling water. This will prevent them from breaking apart! Lower to a medium-low heat and cook for about 25-30min. Once ready, remove from heat onto another part of your stove.
- Egg & Lemon sauce: In a clean bowl, whisk your egg and lemon well until a froth has formed. Using a ladle, gradually add the stock of the soup (without the meatballs) into your bowl but do NOT stop whisking! Otherwise your egg will curdle and ruin the texture and taste of your soup! Add another 3 full ladles of soup and then pour mixture back into your pot. Mix slightly with a spoon.
- Add some freshly ground pepper on top to serve and enjoy!