Not many people have eaten of prefer this dish but it is rich in vitamin C and therefore nutritious! Traditionally you can add chicken to this dish but I’ve made it with a simple red sauce, very similar to how we make Legumes!
- 400 grams of okra (either ***fresh or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 large onion
- 4 tablespoons of homemade tomato sauce (or canned, finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pressed garlic clove
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh parsley
- Extra virgin Olive oil (keep the bottle next to you!!)
- Feta cheese to serve (optional – but delicious combination, trust me!)
- Dice up your onion, add olive oil to your pot (on the highest heat) enough to cover the bottom, and fry until soft and see through.
- Add your teaspoon of paprika and garlic and give it a swirl. Then, add your okra in and mix until the olive oil has touched each one. Add half a litre of water, lower the heat to 2 (on a scale of 1-9) close the lid and literally “forget” them for an hour until they have melted! Apply a slow cooking method and trust me you wont regret it!
- Once your okra is cooked and soft, add your tomato sauce, salt and parsley. Add another 2 tablespoons of olive oil and turn up the heat to bring to the boil for 2 minutes.
- Once you have completed the last step, your okra is ready to be served! Ideally okra cooked in this manner is served with a nice big slice of Feta cheese, try it!!
***** Visit the link below on how to prepare fresh okra!!