- 2 cups of chopped strawberries
- 1/4 cup almond flakes
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 400g flour
- 120g butter in cubes
- 100ml icy cold water
- 5Tbsp sugar
- Icing sugar to serve
- 1 egg (to egg wash)
- Prepare the dough. Add the flour, sugar and butter and pulse in a food processor or mix with the tips of your fingers until crumbly. Add the freezing water (I place it in the freezer for 10 minutes before i use it!) and mix or pulse until it becomes a dough! Form a disc, cover with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add the strawberries and mix them with the sugar and almond flakes.
- Once your dough is set, sprinkle some flour on your kitchen counter, table or any other surface and roll out your dough into a large disc. Transfer it gently onto a baking tray and add the strawberry filling in the middle.
- Fold over the sides into the middle and egg wash the dough on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven on 200 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Make sure to bake on the lower rack of the oven!
- Once it has cooled, sprinkle with some icing sugar (or serve with whipped cream or even ice cream) and indulge!