The most perfect dip! Usually this is a dip consumed during lent and its eaten without Feta but trust me, it makes the difference!
- 4 large eggplants ( black variety, make sure they are firm)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3-4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Vinegar
- 2 cloves of finely sliced garlic
- 150g crumbled Feta
- Now ideally, this recipe needs a high flame over charcoal. Turning the eggplants around every 5-10 minutes until their skin becomes crinkly and they are ready to burst! But for most of us, thats not the case so you could use your grill!
- Heat it up at a medium-high temperature and place your eggplants whole inside. Make sure you keep turning them around so that they don’t burn on any side!
- Once they have softened, remove and whilst hot peel the skin off immediately! Make sure to wear gloves for your protection! dice them up on a chopping board as finely as you wish and leave them in a strainer for about 5 minutes so that most of the juices strain out.
- Transfer into a bowl and add the lemon juice. Mix fast and well! Then add the olive oil, vinegar, garlic and crumbled Feta cheese! Add salt at the end, tasting as you add teaspoon at a time because the Feta is salty so you don’t want to over do it! This is something I do by eye, thats why I do not have the exact amount written above! Your dip is now ready and can be served hot or cold!