Leftover mashed potato? Why not make a traditional, Greek, “Skordalia” Most will have never heard about Skordalia, so what is it? It is a paste/dip whose base is either mashed potato, walnuts or stale bread which is then mixed with garlic – olive oil – white wine vinegar and salt! It is traditionally served as a sider to fried cod and seafood in general and garnished with walnuts and olives! It is a “fantastic alternative to hummus” according to theguardian.com and i strongly suggest you give it a go!
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (400g) (according to what you have, double or half the recipe)
- 2 cloves garlic (pressed)
- 5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt as needed (your mashed potatoes are probably already salted so be sure to taste before you add any extra salt)
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp crushed walnuts and a couple of olives for serving
Add all of the ingredients together (except for walnuts & olives) in a large bowl. With a stand mixer, blend them all together till smooth and well combined! Sprinkle with walnuts & olives and serve chilled! Simple, quick and delicious!