Halloween Chocolate cupcakes with pumpkin spice & orange coloured cream cheese frosting!
- 120g unsalted Butter (room temp)
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg (room temp)
- ½ cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp clove
- ¼ tsp cinnamon —> You can add 3/4tsp pumpkin spice if you like instead
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¾ cup milk
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 500g icing sugar
- 200g cream cheese
- 80g butter
- A few drops of orange food colouring
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, line a 12 piece cupcake tin with liners and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda the spices and salt then set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and both sugars, add the egg and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix just until they are almost all incorporated. Add the milk and mix everything together! It is ok if your mixture seems “lumpy”! It adds texture to the cupcakes when baked!
- Fill your muffin tins to the half way mark and bake them for about 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the centre of a cupcake.
- Now for the frosting: Make sure your cream cheese is cold and your butter at room temperature. Using a hand held mixer, beat well and add the icing in gradually. You should be able to pick up the frosting with a spoon, not too stiff but not too runny! If required, add more icing. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes before transferring it into a piping cone to decorate!
- Remember, let your cupcakes cool completely before frosting them!