Greek lentil soup is one of the most popular Greek soups! High in iron with a delicate taste and very nutritious!
- 500g brown lentils
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 5 bay leaves
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tomato
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- salt to taste
- In a medium size pot, bring about 3 cups of water to the boil, add lentils and boil for 5 minutes. Drain them into a colander. Blend tomato and onion into a paste.
- Fill up your pot with water again on medium-low heat, add the lentils and blended onion tomato paste, garlic cloves and bay leaves. Simmer with the lid on for about 25 minutes.
- Pour in the olive oil and the vinegar, and season well with salt and pepper.
- Boil the lentil soup for another 15 minutes, until it thickens and check out if they are done; keep in my mind that different kinds of lentils cook at different times.
- Serve this delicious Greek lentil soup with a splash of vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil. Olives and boiled chestnuts are a delightful addition and sider to this soup! Along with a “bouyiourdi” You can find all these recipes on my blog!