- 200g unsalted butter
- 450g sugar
- zest and juice of a small orange
- 200g sweetened condensed milk
- 1 sachet of mahlepi (spice)
- 1 teaspoon mastic powder
- 1 tsp cardamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 100g fresh yeast
- 450g lukewarm water
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1.500g flour
- sesame seeds or almond fillet for topping
- 1 egg whisked with a teaspoon of water for coating
- In a small saucepan add the condensed milk, sugar, vanilla and eggs. Mix on low heat and maintain warm.
- In a deep bowl, dilute the yeast in the lukewarm water. Mix well, and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add the flour, mixture from the saucepan (make sure its warm otherwise the yeast wont activate properly and your sweet bread wont rise!) and the rest of the ingredients except the melted butter! Knead for 5 minutes then gradually add in the butter and keep on kneading until the dough is soft and elastic!
- Cover with some gladwrap and place the bowl in the oven which is preheated on 40 degrees celsius on air. Leave it for 2 hours until it has doubled in size!
- After the time has passed, remove the dough onto your bench Weigh 3 balls of 150gr each and roll them out to form 3 sausages (about 20cm long) Then, plait!
- Lay a sheet of baking paper on a tray and place 2 sweet breads. You can use bread tins too! Leave them covered for an extra 25 minutes to rest!
- Beat the egg with the water and spread some on the bread using a silicone brush, Garnish with sesame seeds and bake for 20-25 minutes on 180 degrees Celsius in a fan forced oven!
- Let them cool and serve with butter and jam…ideal!!!