- 1 cup (200g) granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 125g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- lemon zest (optional)
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer, about 2 min. Slowly add the eggs and yolks. Beat for 1 min. Mix in the lemon juice. The mixture will look curdled, but it will smooth out as it cooks.
- Place mixture into a medium sized pot and on low heat mix until it starts to thicken.
- Increase the temperature slightly to a medium and keep mixing with a silicone spatula so as to mix well and get into every side of the pot so the mixture doesn’t overcook. This will take you about 10-15 minutes.
- You will know that the curd is ready when you can draw a line across the spatula with your finger and the curd is fixed.
- Place into a jar and let it cool, lid on so that it doesn’t form a crust!