The weather is getting cooler so why not warm up to a delicious & healthy chickpea soup with sweet paprika?
- 500g raw chickpeas
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp baking soda
- salt to season
- 1 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 5 onions blended to a paste
- Place your chickpeas overnight into a large bowl and cover them with water to which you have added one tablespoon of salt.
- The next morning, rinse them off well and place them back into your bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of baking soda and mix well. Let them sit for an hour with the baking soda. This makes them softer!
- Once the hour has passed, rinse well once again and place them into a pot with water and bring to the boil. Make sure they are fully submerged in the water with at least 5cm more water on top! When they start to boil. a froth will form. Carefully remove and dispose of it, then add your onions and paprika and lower the heat down to 3 (on a scale of 1-9).
- Simmer with the lid closed until the soup thickens. The time depends on the quality of the chickpeas but keep it on there for an hour for sure! Add your olive oil last to preserve all the nutrients!