Leftover mince from last nights bolognese? How about a shepherd pie?῞
- left over mince (about 300grams)
- home made pie crust (***Instructions on how to make it below the recipe)
- 5 potatoes
- salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup mixed frozen vegetables
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 ½ tablespoon butter
- First I suggest that you prepare your pie crust dough. The link to the video recipe and the ingredients you will need is below! Also, remember to place it in the fridge once you have prepared it and before rolling it out!
- Clean and peel your potatoes then boil them for 45 minutes. In a separate small pan heat up your mince slowly so that most of its juices evaporate. While it is heating up, also boil your vegetables for about 15 minutes. When they have cooked, incorporate them in your mince, turn off the heat and set aside. You can of course choose to use fresh instead of frozen vegetables which ideally is better. I use frozen because I am pressured for time!
- Mash your potatoes to a puree with a standing mixer and to this add the milk, 1 tsp of salt and your butter! The puree should be thick so I recommend you put the milk in gradually as you mix!
- Roll out your dough and grease a large tart pan and over this lay your dough! Pre bake at 200 ° C for 10 minutes and remove from the oven. Then add your mince which you have mixed with your vegetables in the tart base and add your mashed potatoes on top! I chose to use a piping bag for a more “beautiful” result! Place it back in the oven on 180 ° C for 10-15 minutes until the puree starts browning on top!
This is where I found the perfect recipe for my pie crust! It is easier than you think!!
Ingredients for pastry:
- 250g really cold butter
- ½ cup iced water
- 2 ½ cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar